Saturday 7 June 2014

Choicest Cuts Vol 14 Best of May 2014 Hip Hop Mix




Quality over quantity this month. Not too many releases found their way to me this month so I didn't go looking, when I do this you can find that the quality lowers and you inevitably give yourself much more work to do with a much longer playlist. Keep it simple and (try to!) stick to deadlines!


Firstly, respect to Oxygen for coming through with a dope shout out to introduce this mix. Any avid readers of the blog will know I'm a huge fan of his, great guy for taking the time to bless the mic for me.

Couple of major releases for me this month - a new 2 track EP from Lewis Parker, and new heat from Jurassic 5.

For those who don't know, Lewis Parker is a rapper and producer from the UK, who's signature sound has made him one of the few pushing that analog boom-bap hip hop. In the UK, we're seriously proud of Lewis Parker - if you ask a Brit for some good hip hop recommendations, any of his productions are likely to be mentioned!!

A new J5 track and talk of a reunion is big news to me. Remembering back to the first time me and my friends heard their self-titled debut full length album, was a moment i'll not forget in a hurry. We were sitting in my ford fiesta all head-nodding like crazy around the tape deck, wondering who was responsible for this refreshing, good-time dope Hip Hop. Timeless is a word battered around too much, but that album still sounds fresh almost twenty years on.



"Where it all Began" is another feel-good banger and my pick from the recent album by Koss & the legendary A.G's album "Natural High".

"97.92" Isn't an amazing track in itself, but I put it in because I wanted to mention the brilliant video, check this out!


(according to the blurb) - "The video for "97.92," the result of collaboration between Aplusfilmz and Pier Pictures, was created using a 360-degree HD camera rig with a remote-controlled drone octo-copter. The device is the H3Pro7, invented by Michael Kintner, which shoots with 7 GoPro cameras all rolling simultaneously. The 7 shots are synced and stitched together to create the full-360 spherical view, which can then be manipulated with the effects and camera movements you see here."

Shouts to Verb-T, another UK stalwart who's been putting in work for a long time now,  you can hear him dissecting his more-chilled lifestyle nowadays on "Where you Find me".

I really felt that "Get Down" was a great track from Pharoahe Monch, nice production and nice laid-back flow. I liked the sample used by J-Love on Glorified Excellence and felt Cormega really shined on that track, as well as Planet Asia on the track with Hus Kingpin. Still my favourite Planet Asia track remains this one, (the remix or original are both equally recommended!)



No comments:

Post a Comment