Wednesday 3 July 2013

Choicest Cuts Vol1 Jan - Mar 2013



This was the first in my series of newly-released Hip Hop and my pick of the years' releases so far in March. Hard to pick out any standout tracks but the Oxygen joint about diggin' in the crates is a bit special, and so is the video.


I hadn't heard about Big Noyd since he released his banger "Recognize & Realise" back in '96 so was pleased to see he was still going strong. Same can be said about hearing Artifacts again....


Whilst not "strictly hip hop," I've been a massive fan of Vangel's production since I heard him colab with DJ Unkut on "Doing Things" in '09, so there's no way his new release wasn't getting some airtime. Cappo & Nappa holding it down for the UK on a dope track too.

Putting Damu in, twice even, goes without saying. If you're not up on the Fudgemunk's beatmaking abilities, get to know. Man makes better noises with floppy disks than most so-called top producers make with their Macs. Why he never upgraded his MPC2000 to an XL at least i'll never know, but hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it... Love the whole production of Brooklyn Flower and the sample of Minnie Riperton's "Les Fleurs."

WDRE & Freqnik always deliver with their remixes so I wanted to include them. I was really excited to hear of Esoteric's colab with Inspectah Deck... Eso's been one of my all-time favourite MC's since I heard "Def Rhymes," "Soul Purpose" or "Herb," to name just a few.

I'm always curious what tunes people are feeling...hit me up and let me know in the comments!


Unkut going off over Vangel's production...

Ramsey Lewis  - "Les Fleurs"...
7L & Esoteric - "Def Rhymes"...

2 comments:

  1. Hey ABB FUNK! I'm loving my monthly dose of Choicest Cuts, keep em coming!
    Also loving that Oxygen track, made me wanna start digging again.
    The Ramsey Lewis track is dope too, you know this version?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbi0AqoI44
    it's a beaut
    Keep it real bro!
    Peace

    ReplyDelete