Wednesday 19 March 2014

(VHS archive) DJ APOLLO (former ISP) routine circa 2000 (video)

Wish I could remember more about this gig but unfortunately not too much to say here, the legend that is DJ Apollo was doing a showcase during a Souls of Mischief gig. As I say, I don't remember much but seeing Apollo for the first time was the highlight of the evening…



I've never been a huge fan of Souls of Mischief, "93 til Infinity" and "That's When ya Lost" aside, I can't quite put them up there with say, early Pharcyde for example, and sadly the gig did little to change that. Apollo on the other hand, for those that don't know, was one of the original Invisibl Skratch Piklz members and thus has legendary status in the world of turntablism!

Apollo goes through a nice trick mixing repertoire here, (this was so much harder without visual waveforms back then) and his routine with KRS's "Step in to a World" is easy on the ears, considering how tired I am of hearing that tune! Don't sleep on his nice routine with The Beatnut's "Watch Out Now" to finish…..

This is my first upload from my VHS archives I want to upload to my blog, it has been on my youtube channel for a while now but with terrible sound so I fixed that and re-uploaded it.

This must have been between 2000 - 2002, it was at Concorde 2 on the beach in Brighton, UK. The MC at the end is asking if the audience like "that new Mos Def"…. any ideas to guess the year?!

No comments:

Post a Comment